1 1/4 cups pumpkin purée
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
9-inch pie crust, unbaked
*ingredients can be substituted for 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
1) Preheat oven to 400°. Use a sharp serrated bread knife to cut the pumpkin in two. You can use a sawing motion, sea-saw motion or both to cut through.
2) Use a strong metal spoon to remove the seeds and strings. (Put the seeds aside if you plan to make roasted pumpkin seeds).
3) Cover both halves with tin foil and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Once a fork can penetrate the skin of the pumpkin it’s done
4) Score the pumpkins skin with a sharp knife, peal off the pumpkins skin (Once cooked through, the skin should peel off easily).
5) Blend the pumpkin meat in a blender or food processor, until it is practically liquefied. (If you have extra it will keep in the freezer for about six months).
6) Preheat oven to 425°. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pie pastry, homemade or purchased
7) In mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. Add eggs; mix until well blended. Add evaporated milk,and vanilla; mix until smooth and well blended. Pour pumpkin pie mixture into the prepared pastry lined pie plate.
By: Josh Martin